The men’s professional tennis tour has opened an investigation into allegations of domestic abuse by an ex-girlfriend by Olympic gold medalist and 2020 US Open runner-up Alexander Zverev.
The ATP announced on Monday that it is “looking into allegations relating to Alexander Zverev at the 2019 ATP Masters 1000 event in Shanghai.”
“The allegations against Alexander Zverev are serious and we have a responsibility to address them. We hope that our investigation will allow us to establish the facts and determine the appropriate follow-up action,” ATP CEO Massimo Calvelli said in a statement issued by the tour. “We understand that Zverev welcomes our investigation and acknowledge that he has denied all allegations.”
Zverev is a 24-year-old German who is currently ranked fourth in the world.
1 Novak Djokovic on his way to a gold medal at the Tokyo Games in July, then lost to Djokovic in the US Open semifinals in August. Zverev had lost to Dominic Thiem in the final of the US Open a year earlier.
Ex-girlfriend Olga Sharipova first made the allegations last year. She provided a new, detailed account in a Slate.com story in August.
“I have always said that the allegations and everything that has been said is untrue,” Zverev told a news conference in late August ahead of the start of the US Open.
He then said that he would support the introduction of a domestic violence policy by the ATP.
The tour also called for an “independent safety report” on Monday, adding that it is “a key element of the ATP’s overall safety review to ensure that all adults and minors involved in professional tennis are safe.” and are safe from misuse.”
The ATP said it would “evaluate the recommendations of the report to identify immediate next steps relating to all cases of abuse, including domestic violence.”