Sports

Australia to postpone upcoming Test against Afghanistan

Australia Cricket’s chief executive Nick Hockley told local media on Monday (11 October) that Australia’s Test against Afghanistan is likely to be postponed until it is clear how the takeover by the Taliban will affect the game in the country. Will have effect. The Australia Cricket Board last month threatened to cancel the Test starting in Hobart on 27 November if the Taliban government, which took power in August, did not allow women and girls to play the game.

“It is likely that we will postpone (testing) until there is more clarity and this is following consultation with the Australian government,” Hockley told ABC.

“The work we are doing is to understand the current situation on the ground. We have made our position very clear, on the back of some of the earlier comments, potentially for cricket as a sport. Women and girls are not being supported in Afghanistan

Hockley also said he was confident that talks with the Western Australian government would be successful and the fifth Ashes Test would take place next January in Perth as scheduled. The tourists conditionally agreed to go ahead with the tour last weekend after Hockley held two video conference meetings with England players to allay their fears about overly strict biosecurity protocols .

Western Australia has implemented strict border controls to keep COVID-19 out of the state and if the government sticks to its rules, England’s squad will have to be in quarantine for two weeks after arriving in Perth from the fourth Test in Sydney .

Hockley thought the state would be ready to relax quarantine requirements and allow England players to play the Perth Test in a bio-secure bubble with some freedom. “We want to play the fifth Test in Perth. We absolutely intend to do that, those discussions are going on as soon as we talk. That will be our focus in the next few months.”

The Ashes series will begin in Brisbane from December 8.

Back to top button