LONDON: British police have announced they will not take any action against Prince Andrew after a review by an accuser of Jeffrey Epstein who claims he sexually assaulted him.
Virginia Giuffre claims she was trafficked by Epstein to have sex with Andrew in London in 2001, when she was 17 years old and a minor under US law. She is suing Prince in a US court.
Queen Elizabeth II’s second son, Andrew, has denied the allegations. He told the BBC in a 2019 interview that he never had sex with Giuffre, saying: It didn’t happen.
In August, London’s Metropolitan Police Force began a review of charges involving the late convicted sex offender Epstein. Police Chief Cressida Dick said at the time that no one is above the law.
In a statement late Sunday (October 11), the force said its “review is over and we are not taking any further action.” It also said it would not act on allegations, first reported by Channel 4 News, that Epstein’s alleged partner, Ghislaine Maxwell, trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK.
Maxwell, a British socialite, is awaiting trial in a US prison on charges that he recruited teenage girls to abuse Epstein.
The force said it continues to liaise with other law enforcement agencies that are leading investigations into the Epstein-related cases.
After weeks of legal wrangling, Andrew’s lawyers acknowledged late last month that Price was formally introduced with Giuffre’s lawsuit. Rajkumar will have to file a reply to the claims by October 29.
Andrew, 61, has been removed from public royal duties amid scandal over his friendship with convicted pedophile Epstein, who killed himself while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges at a federal detention center in New York in August 2019 .