Sources in the security establishment said that after a hiatus of more than two months, India and China are holding another round of high-level military talks on Sunday aimed at moving forward on the demilitarization process in the remaining friction points in eastern Ladakh.
The 13th round of Corps Commander-level talks is being held at the Moldo border point on the Chinese side. line of actual control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh, he said.
Sources said the talks started around 10.30 am.
A fresh round of talks is taking place three weeks after External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar told his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi that both sides should work for an early resolution of the remaining issues in eastern Ladakh.
The two foreign ministers met on the sidelines of the SCO summit in Dushanbe on 16 September.
The two sides held the 12th round of talks on 31 July. A few days later, the two armies completed the dissolution process at Gogra, which was seen as an important forward movement towards the restoration of peace and tranquility in the region.
The Indian delegation in Sunday’s talks was to be led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, the commander of the 14 Corps based in Leh.
On Saturday, Chief of Army Staff General MM Naravane said that if the Chinese Army continues to deploy extensively in the eastern Ladakh region, the Indian Army will also maintain its strength on its side, which he said is “as good as it is”. . The PLA has done it.”
The latest round of talks comes in the backdrop of two recent incidents of infiltration bid by Chinese troops in the Barahoti sector of Uttarakhand and the other in the Tawang sector of Arunachal Pradesh.
There was a brief face-off between Indian and Chinese troops near Yangtse in Tawang sector of Arunachal Pradesh about 10 days ago and it was resolved within hours after talks between the commanders of both sides as per established protocol.
Last month, about 100 soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China violated the LAC in the Barahoti sector of Uttarakhand.
The breach took place on 30 August and the Chinese troops returned from the area after spending a few hours.
India has been emphasizing that the resolution of outstanding issues including Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra is essential for overall improvement in relations between the two countries.
The border standoff between Indian and Chinese armies began on May 5 last year after violent clashes in the Pangong Lake areas and both sides gradually increased their deployment of thousands of troops as well as heavy weapons.
As a result of a series of military and diplomatic talks, the two sides completed the demilitarization process in the Gogra region in August.
In February, the two sides completed the withdrawal of troops and weapons from the northern and southern shores of Pangong Lake in line with an agreement on secession.
Each side currently has around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the sensitive area.