New Delhi: With the release of iOS 15, Apple has added some really cool features to the Camera app on the iPhone. From improved panorama features to text extraction from the camera viewfinder (live text), iOS 15’s camera boasts another important feature: UPI payments.
This feature is only available for customers who use the UPI payment service, which is now available in ten more countries outside India. You no longer need to open your UPI app to scan the QR code of a merchant or recipient, as this task is now performed by the camera. However, you must continue to use the UPI payment app to complete the transaction.
If you are a WhatsApp user, there is still a way to avoid downloading any dedicated UPI payment software altogether, as the chat app supports UPI payments as well. Apart from WhatsApp, Truecaller also accepts UPI payments. When Apple Pay launches in India, users can also anticipate UPI payments supported by the company’s payment service.
In a few simple steps, you can have your iPhone camera relay payment instructions to your most recent UPI payment app if you want to use this recently announced capability in the iPhone’s camera.
1. Open the Camera app on your iPhone.
2. This should be indicated on the UPI payment QR code.
3. As soon as your iPhone camera detects the UPI QR code in the viewfinder, you’ll see a button with the name of your most recently used UPI payment app. Google Pay, Paytm, PhonePe, BHIM, or any other UPI app you use could be the culprit.
Click on the button.
4. Camera” wants to open “Google Pay”, a pop-up will appear (or any other UPI app you have used recently). Select ‘Open’.
5. After this the UPI app will open and take you to the payment screen. Its interface will be the same as when you scan a UPI QR code with the UPI payment app. Verify the recipient’s name, enter the amount, then, depending on your UPI app, select ‘Make Payment’ or ‘Next’.
6. After entering your UPI PIN, you will be taken to the payment confirmation page.