Mumbai: A Mumbai court on Tuesday sought exemption from personal appearance of actor Kangana Ranaut in a criminal defamation complaint filed by lyricist Javed Akhtar and said it would issue an arrest warrant against him if she fails to appear on the next date of hearing. will issue. on 20 September.
As soon as the matter came up for hearing, Ranaut’s lawyer demanded that he be exempted from appearance for the day as he was not keeping well.
The lawyer submitted a medical certificate before the court and said that the actor is traveling for the promotion of his film and has “developed symptoms of COVID-19”.
However, Akhtar’s counsel said that it was a well-planned tactic to delay the proceedings of the case.
The lyricist’s lawyer further submitted that Ranaut has refused to appear before the court for one reason or the other as summons was issued to him in February this year.
After hearing the submissions, Metropolitan Magistrate RR Khan allowed Ranaut to be exempted from appearance for the day. He then posted the matter for hearing on September 20.
The magistrate said that if the actress does not appear in the next hearing, a warrant will be issued against her.
Last Thursday, the Bombay High Court dismissed a petition filed by Ranawat, seeking quashing of proceedings initiated against him by a local court on a criminal defamation complaint filed by Akhtar.
Justice Revati Mohite-Dere had said in the order that there was no procedural illegality or irregularity in the order of the Andheri Metropolitan Magistrate to initiate proceedings.
Akhtar (76) had filed a complaint in the magistrate’s court in November last year, claiming that Ranaut had made defamatory statements against him in a television interview, which had allegedly damaged his reputation.
In his complaint, Akhtar claimed that after the alleged suicide by actor Sushant Singh Rajput in June last year, Ranaut dragged his name during an interview while referring to a ‘kotri’ present in Bollywood.