A federal magistrate judge in Nevada has sided with Cristiano Ronaldo’s lawyers against a woman who sued for more than $375,000 he received in 2010, after saying the international football star had accompanied him in Las Vegas. was raped. In a scathing recommendation to the judge hearing the case, Magistrate Judge Daniel Albreguets convicted Katherine Mayorga’s attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, on Wednesday of inappropriately basing the civil damages lawsuit on leaked and stolen documents. What was shown as privileged communication between Ronaldo and his lawyers.
The magistrate wrote in its 23-page report to US District Judge Jennifer Dorsey, “The dismissal of Mayorga’s attorney for the improper conduct of her case is a harsh consequence.” “But, unfortunately, this is the only proper sanction to ensure the integrity of the judicial process.
“Stovall has acted in bad faith to the detriment of his client – and of his profession,” Albreguets decided.
Stovall and other lawyers in his office did not immediately respond to telephone and email messages about Albregat’s report on Thursday. A date for taking the recommendation for Dorsey was not immediately set.
Ronaldo’s attorney in Las Vegas, Peter Christiansen, issued a statement calling Ronaldo’s legal team “delighted by the court’s detailed review … and the need to appropriately apply the law to the facts and to dismiss the civil case against Mr. Ronaldo.” his wish”.
Albreguets noted that the court did not find that Ronaldo had committed the crime and that his lawyers and representatives had found no evidence of “intimidating Mayorga or obstructing law enforcement” when Mayorga dropped the criminal charges and in August 2010. Finalized a confidential settlement of $375,000.
Ronaldo, now 36, is one of the most recognized and highly paid players in the game. He has captained his country’s football team, Portugal, and plays for English Premier League club Manchester United. He spent many years in Italy playing for club Juventus based in Turin.
Mayorga, 37, is a former teacher and model Who lives in the Las Vegas area. She said in her lawsuit previously filed in state court and moved in federal court that Ronaldo or his associates violated a confidentiality agreement in 2017 by allowing reports about it to appear in European publications. She wants to collect at least $200,000 more than Ronaldo.
She met Ronaldo at a nightclub in June 2009 and accompanied him and others to his hotel room, where she said he assaulted her in a bedroom, according to the lawsuit. She was 25 years old at that time. He was 24 years old.